27 Dec 2015
-6 lbs Dark Liquid Malt Extract
-3.15 lbs Superstructure Liquid Malt Blend (for IPA)
-6 oz Fuggle hop pellets
-4 oz Chinook hop pellets
-1 package Safale-04 English Ale Yeast
-1 Tbsp Irish Moss (for clarity)
- Get 5 gallons of water boiling
- When the boil is rolling, add all malt extract
- Add hops:
- 0:60 – 2 oz Chinook
- 0:45 – 2 oz Chinook
- 0:30 – 2 oz Fuggle
- 0:15 – 2 oz Fuggle
- 0:05 – 2 oz Fuggle
4. With 10 minutes left in the boil, add Irish Moss (for clarity)
5. After an hour of boiling, turn the burner off.
6. Add a half gallon of cold water to the wort, and use the wort chiller to drop the temperature to ~90 degrees F.
06 Dec 2015
Brew Day: 12/6/15
Original Gravity: 1.040
Final Gravity: 1.020
Estimated ABV %:
-6 lbs Light Malt Extract Syrup
-8 oz Calypso Hop Pellets (13.3% alpha)
-Safale US-05 Ale Yeast
-1 tablespoon Irish Moss (for clarity)
-1/2 cup white sugar
- When water is boiling, add extract.
- Add ~6.5 oz hops over the course of the hour boil
- 0:00 (end of boil)
- Add 1 tbsp Irish Moss (for clarity), with 15 minutes left in the boil.
- After boiling the wort for one hour, turn the burner off and hook up the wort chiller to the hose
- Run the wort chiller until temperature falls to under 90 degrees F.
- Aerate, then pour the wort through a mesh bag into the sanitized conical fermenter.
- Pitch yeast.
- Flush the yeast from the bottom of the conical fermenter.
- Start ~2 cups of water boiling and dissolve 1/2 cup white sugar for the carbonation primer.
- Add sugar water in with the beer and stir it in.
- Bottle the beer in all bottles.