Freestyle Brown Ale
Brew Day: 2/15/15
Bottle Day: 3/1/15
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.018
Estimated ABV: 4.99%
- 1 Lb. English Chocolate Malt
- 1 Lb. Briess Caramel 80L Malt
- 3 Lbs. Plain Extra Light Dry Malt Extract
- 3 Lbs. Dark Malt Extract Syrup
- 1 oz UK Fuggle hop pellets (5.1% alpha)
- 1 oz US Williamette hop pellets (4.7% alpha)
- 1 oz US Goldings hop pellets (4.5% alpha)
- 1 oz Cascade raw hops (7.7% alpha)
- 1 tsp. Irish Moss (for clarity)
- Safale 04 English Ale yeast
- Carbonation drops
Brew Day — 2/15/15
1. Fill brew kettle with ~3 gallons of water, bring to 160 degrees.
3. After 30 minutes of steeping the grain, remove the grain bag, let the excess water drain out, and put the brew kettle on full heat.
4. Bring water to a boil.
5. When the water is boiling, add all malt extract.
6. Add hops:
- 1:00 – 1 oz Cascade and 1 oz Goldings
- 0:15 – 1 oz UK Fuggle
- 0:05 – 1 oz US Williamette
7. With 15 minutes left in the boil, add Irish Moss (for clarity).
8. Sanitize big mouth bubbler primary fermenter and siphon.
9. Filter wort through grain bag to decrease sediment.
10. Add cold water to wort until total volume is around 5 gallons.
11. Oxygenate the wort by stirring vigorously.
12. Cool wort to ~90 degrees by setting the fermenter outside. Meanwhile, take the original gravity.
13. Pitch yeast.
Transfer Day — 3/1/15
1. Sanitize all equipment: auto-siphon, bottles and growlers, caps, and bottling bucket.
2. Transfer beer from fermenter to bottling bucket.
3. Place one carbonation drop into each beer bottle before filling with beer, and place three carbonation drops into each growler. Then, fill each container with beer and cap.
3. Take gravity measure.