11 Dec 2014
Brew Day: 12/10/14
Bottle Day: 12/31/14
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.024
Estimated ABV: 4.73%
- 6 lbs Dark Mart Extract Syrup
- 1 lb Briess Caramel 80L Malt
- 1 lb English Chocolate Malt
- 1 lb English Roasted Barley Malt
- ~5lbs Sweet Cherry Puree (About 1.75 cans)
- 1 oz UK Fuggle Hop Pellets (alpha 5.1%)
- 1 oz US Williamette Hop Pellets (alpha 4.7%)
- 1 oz US Goldings Hop Pellets (alpha 4.5%)
- 1 packet Safale S-04 Dry Ale Yeast
- 1 tsp Irish Moss (for clarity)
- Fizz Drops (carbonation tablets) – one per 12 oz/16 oz bottle, two per 22 oz/750 mL bottle, four per growler
Brew Day — 12/10/14
1. Sanitize all equipment
2. Fill brew kettle with 1.5 gallons of water to begin the partial mash and heat to ~150 degrees.
3. Add all three pounds of malt into the mesh brew bag and let the partial mash sit for 35 minutes.
4. Sparge the mash with 1.5 gallons of warm water.
5. Add warm water through the brew bag (essentially keep sparging…) until 4 gallons of wort is in the brew kettle.
6. Put the brew kettle onto the propane burner and start the boil.
7. When the wort is boiling, add liquid malt and boil for 60 minutes.
8. Hop schedule:
- 0:60 – Add Fuggle and Williamette hops
- 0:05 – Add Goldings hops
9. Bring brew kettle inside to stovetop for ease of use.
10. With 15 minutes left in the boil, add Irish Moss (for clarity).
11. With 5 minutes left in the boil, add all contents of cherry puree.
12. After 60 minutes of boiling, cool the wort in a tupperware bin filled with cold water and snow. Add ~1 gallon of cool water to wort.
13. Once wort has chilled, transfer wort to big mouth bubbler and pitch yeast. Take gravity measure.
Bottle Day — 12/31/14
1. Sanitize bottles, growlers, bottling bucket and all equipment.
2. Transfer beer into bottling bucket.
3. Add more cherry flavor.
4. Fill growlers and bottles with beer, add carbonation tablets and cap.
The cherry stout was a very overcarbonated, but tasty brew.
16 Oct 2014
Cider Collection Day: Sunday, October ?
Pitched Yeast: October 16
Original Gravity: 1.050
- A shit-ton of apples
- 5 teaspoons yeast nutrient
- 2.5 teaspoons pectic enzyme
- One packet of Safale-04 American Ale Yeast
1. Arrive at Kris’s Cider Fest. Eat a lot of hot dogs.
2. Press a lot of apples into 5 gallons of cider.
3. Add 5 Campden tablets to neutralize wild yeast and bacteria.
4. Wait 48 hours.
5. Add pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient and yeast.
6. Wait __ weeks and bottle!