Honey Apple Ale Version 2
Brew Day: 4/19/15
Transfer Day: 5/14/15
Bottle Day: 5/15/15
Original Gravity: 1.071
Final Gravity: 1.005
Estimated ABV: 9.5%
- 2 gallons of organic apple juice
- 2 ounces of Citra hops (13.2% alpha)
- 3 lbs light dry malt extract
- 5 lbs of pure clover/basswood honey
- 1 packet champagne yeast
- 1 tsp Irish Moss (for clarity)
- 2 campden tablets
- 1 tsp pectic enzyme
1. Boil 2 gallons of water.
2. On the other burner, mix all honey with half gallon of warm water.
3. When the brew kettle is boiling vigorously, add all malt and hops.
4. Boil for one hour.
5. While boiling, continue to stir both pots–ensure brew kettle doesn’t burn the bottom and gently stir honey water to dissolve.
6. Sanitize big mouth bubbler.
7. Combine 1 gallon of cold water, the wort from the brew kettle, dissolved honey water, and all apple juice in the big mouth bubbler.
8. Stir vigorously to oxygenate the wort. Add campden tablets and pectic enzyme.
9. Seal bubbler and take gravity measure.
10. Pitch yeast.
Transfer Day–May 14, 2015
1. Transfer beer from glass carboy to plastic fermenter. Taste test.
Bottle Day–May 15, 2015
1. Sanitize all equipment.
2. Transfer beer from plastic fermenter to bottling bucket.
3. Take the gravity and taste test.
3. Fill growlers. Put carbonation drops in four growlers and a Grolsch bottle. We didn’t put any additional sugars in four growlers.